2011 - The Year We Take Back Congress and Make Obama's Life Hell!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

So Long,..and Fare Thee Well!




Saying he knew as early as Aug. 1 that he would not play again, but refused to accept the reality until recently, former Flyers captain Keith Primeau announced his retirement today after 15 years in the NHL.

He said post-concussion syndrome had made it impossible for him to continue trying to make a comeback.

"There is finality to it," Primeau said, when asked whether he would take a year off again and try to return like he had been doing since October of a year ago. "No, it's really been 30 months since I played... and next year would be 3 ½ years."

Primeau, 34, was the Flyers captain since 2001 succeeding Eric Desjardins. In 5 1/2 seasons here he scored 87 goals, 126 assists for 213 points. He will forever be known in Philadelphia hockey lore for having scored the game-winning goal in the fifth overtime of Game 4 in the 2000 Eastern Conference semifinals in Pittsburgh.

But that is not how he feels he will be remembered. He said his growth as a captain and leader is what he'll cherish most.

"It became my identity," he said. "I was playing in the National Hockey League and there were times I was on other teams and recognized for that, but it just wasn't the same as in this city with this team."

Then, choking up, he added, "That will always mean a lot."

Primeau admitted that the series of concussions he suffered in the 2004 Eastern Conference finals against Tampa likely laid the groundwork for his retirement. He said that in retrospect, he should not have tried to play through so many concussions earlier in his career.

"I wish I knew then what I knew now," he said.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger kateykakes said...

For me, this is devastating. I love him! Seeing my fave player retired literally bites. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home