2011 - The Year We Take Back Congress and Make Obama's Life Hell!

Saturday, March 12, 2005

What Part of NO Don't You Understand??

Picture, if you will, the latest Discover Card advert campaign. The shots are in B&W. People sit on a stool and talk candidly about themselves.

Here's how my advert would go:

A balding, hefty guy with a moderately-deranged look in his eyes sits on the ubiquitous stool.
  • Um,..I'm 41 and I'm a paramedic.
  • I'm single
  • I work for an idiot who was pushing Matchbox ambulances on his living room floor when I started in this business.
  • I like to travel, go to movies, and dine out with friends
  • I have a DISCOVER card and THEY KEEP CALLING ME FIVE TIMES A DAY, EVERY BUSINESS DAY, TRYING TO SELL ME SOMETHING!!!
Yes,...and it gets worse!

When I called to cancel my card because of the aforementioned calling, the conversation went something like this:

DISC: Discover Card services, how may I help you?
TM: I'd like to cancel my card.
DISC: I'm sorry to hear that. Why are you canceling it?
TM: Because you people keep calling me, five times a day, every day.
DISC: Well, Mr. Medic, I can put you on our "do not call" list.
TM: I already did that before Christmas. You're still calling me. Cancel my card!
DISC: Well, Mr. Medic, I'm authorized to give your account at 2.9% APR, locked for 30 months.
TM: That's nice, but you'll still be calling me. I want me card cancelled.
DISC: Well, then I'll put you on our "do not call" list.
TM: Are you listening to me?? I want me account cancelled! If you cancel it, you won't be calling me anymore!
DISC: Well,..I can still remove you from the list and give you the 2.9% APR.
TM: No,..you can cancel my account and stop harassing me every day. Five times a day, every day is harassment!
DISC: (mumbling) So you say,..
TM: I'm sorry,..wanna get some balls and say that again loud enough for the people monitoring this to hear it??
DISC: Excuse me?
TM: Tell you what,...put your manager on, or at least someone who speaks English.
DISC: I am speaking English, sir.
TM: Then,..what part of "CANCEL MY ACCOUNT" didn't you understand??
DISC: Hold on, sir,...

This went on for the better part of 30+ minutes. Each manager offered me the same two things: a better rate and an offer to stop calling me. The finally hung up on me when I started lobbing F-bombs at them! If you think I should have taken the offer, read on:

I sent a certified letter to them the same night, requesting the account be closed and requesting an apology for my treatment as a customer.

Now, as of today, I have received TWO letters from Discover, both acknowledging that my account has been closed. One is dated the night of the infamous phone call/f-bombing. The other acknowledges my cancellation letter.

I have since also received my monthly bill. It states my available credit limit is $0.00 (That means "closed," right?)

As of last night,..the 5 for 5 is still going on!!!

Now,..if there's one thing I learned earning my degree in Health Care Management, its this:
For every 1 person that hears of good service, 16 people hear about bad service.

Since my blog averages about 17 hits/day,..I'd say we're even!

Remember readers,..friends don't let friends use the Discover Card!

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger RagDoll said...

Discover card needs to "Discover" employees with half a brain. Heck. Ganglia would suffice.

I now monitor my calls. They are too stupid ro realize a machine has answered their calls. I come home to atleast 4 messages of "...Hello? Is Ms. I-tire-of-your-idiocy-stop-calling-me in? Hello? This is Lameass at Discover.Hello?"

Shouldn't your "Bill" state "closed account' as well?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger TheBitterAmerican said...

No, rags,..the bill simply has my current balance and an available credit limit of $0.00

As for the calls, I'm changing my recording to "Hello? Hello? I'm not here,..etc" SInce most of these calls are triggered to reply when they hear the "Hello."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home